The reality of joining pageants

Realizations about pageants:

I'd like to share with you the reality of joining a pageant. I have joined 2 pageants, one in high school, where I represented my whole batch and one in college, where I represented my section. And this may not be experienced by everyone, but these are the points that I got from those experiences.

General Tip: Get your money ready!
The more money the nicer clothes, the bigger donations and the greater the handlers you can hire!

1. Attires
There are a lot of attires you have to prepare, sports attire, casual attire, evening gown attire. You can borrow clothes, you can buy or you can rent. Sometimes, the handlers you hire can lend you clothes for the sports or evening gown, but take note you will not be the first person who wears the costume so you may see pictures of people, from before, wearing the same attire.

2. Popularity Contest / Donations
When I was in highschool money ran these contests. Breaking the ice, I have encountered a contest where the contestant with the biggest donation won the pageant. I joined my high school pageant back in 2015, and donations were 10-15% in the criteria. I know, it's a big percentage, right? I donated 5,000 pesos to be exact. I had to ask for the support of my relatives for that kind of money. Your classmates will help you, but since we were all students we can only give so much. So donations normally came out from the parents' pocket. You may be wondering how much the highest donation in that pageant was, it was 16,000 pesos. Now it has transitioned to getting likes, which will leave you tagging and private messaging almost everyone you know just to get that heart or haha reacts,

3. Dressing Rooms
You have to share the dressing room with all the girls of the pageant you're in. It was an in and out experience, after projecting on stage you have to move quickly and go to the dressing room to change attire, change makeup, change hair, it was chaos! The rush won't let you think that you're only wearing panty and bra in front of everyone since you have to change attire fast. 

4.  People
From the mixed experience of HS and college: Some people would raise their eyebrows so often. Not all people would bother making friends since we were in a competition. Groups often form, like only these three girls would talk to each other during practices. You may feel the 'plastic-y' feel, cause they smile while quietly judging you, observing your strengths and weaknesses. 

5. Talent 
Most of the talent presented are singing high tunes and doing hip hop dances. You can play an instrument, but keep it short, most of the time that bores people out, unless you do death-defying acts while playing the flute. For those who do not have talent, do not fret. I am not talent-less, but I was an average. So what would not so talented people do on pageants? Monologue and interpretative dancing! Mind you I won third place in my monologue. And when I say interpretative dancing, I'm talking about the easy type, one where you just do actions while following the beat

6. Projecting yourself
Aside from attire, this is one of the most important things that you have to learn. You have to learn how to walk and pose like a model in a matter of weeks. You have to wear 3 or more inches of heels. You have to practice every after school. When they were teaching me how to walk I had to wear an umbrella at my back so I'd walk straight. I have to have 10+ poses, different per attire, different per side of the stage, and different when you were with your partner. Your money, your attire, and your campaigns would go to waste if you walk on stage stiffly. 

7. Partner
Expect to get close to your partner. Your partner will be your confidant. Your partner is the person you would ask whether your poses seem awkward, how was your walk cause in the end of the day you and your partner would want to win this pageant together.

8. Questions
 Most of the school pageant questions are easy, it's not the most generic thing you can find in google, it's about the current events. What I did was I reviewed, I had a notebook full of questions and answers and when all else fails I have an answer that is like a safety net, an answer that will help you stall and smile while saying that you will save mother earth no matter what happens.

So here are my observations, I'd like to wish you good luck if you are joining a pageant. Always remember to have fun throughout the experience, and keep in mind that you were chosen to represent for a reason.


My 2017 pageant experience, written after the event:

Recently, I had to represent my section in the search for Thomasian Electronics and Communication Engineering Youth Ambassador and Ambassadress. Although I did not get in the top 5, which was totally fine, I think the experience was great and It was all worth it. 

Here are the highlights of my second pageant experience.

(Blurred, now I know how important it is to have class 4 or 10 sd card)

( In my uniform)

(In my semi formal wear)

(Changed outfit and tried to be classy)

The second batch of pictures will be with me and my partner Elfred. This experience wouldn't be possible and great without him. We certainly thought of backing out a lot of times, but we did it anyway, and I'd think I'd speak for both of us when I say that this experience will be certainly remembered. 





With the very supportive best friends, I don't think I'd even continue this journey without you guys. Especially Keezhia who I kept stressing when I'm stressed myself. 

(Keezhia who was always stressed out)

( most supportive bestie, my hmua for the uniform wear)

(Coleen and Kaira <don't have pics with kaira>who taught me how to wear heels and put on makeup.)

Lastly,  to my thesis mates and block mates. I appreciate the support, we weren't always complete but their little messages and efforts of coming made me smile and feel loved.





Thank you everyone, for the experience, for Kat and Gian also. :)

💚💛💜💙❤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The reality of wanting to talk to somebody

The reality of low maintenance relationships