The reality of having crushes

Nowadays, you'd see a lot of teenagers posting relationship goals and full emoticon messages on Facebook, and I go 'may' whenever I pass by those cheesy posts. Not that I'm bitter, but shouldn't those things be kept intimately private? For me, the only acceptable relationship goals that couples can post is if they finish college together, or volunteer someplace that can help heal the world, some shenanigans of that type. If I were given the chance to talk about love to teenagers or at least a younger version of myself this is what I'd say:

1. Don't waste time on someone who doesn't like you.

-Why would you even want someone who doesn't appreciate you, or goes 'ickkk' whenever they see you. Know your worth.

2. Sometimes it's not worth the risk.

-I think I learned it the hard way that you can't just tell someone you like them, though it would be cool if that turns into a norm, it is true that friendships die or do get broken.

3. Time heals everything.

-Heartbreaks are no piece of cake, moving on is like swallowing a blob of stone. It leaves you broken, it shatters you. No matter how much OA you think it is, it happens. You'll think of him/her every day, you always check your message box, you constantly go into his social media page, etc. But realizations will kick in sooner or later, you'd realize that he/she is just another person in your story, and now you have to flip through the pages and move on. Sooner or later you'll laugh about it, and you'll realize that time has healed you.

4. When the right person comes, you'll know.

-You'll know because at the very start you'll click. Don't hang on to those 2-year crushes, because if it's bound to happen it should've happened already. When the right person comes, you'll feel the spark, you'll feel the mutuality between you two and in a shorter time, unlike those long term crushes.

5. You pray for the right person.

-Cheesy as it may seem, but I believe in this one. It's funny, cause I use to pray 'Sana maging crush din ako ng crush ko', but that's not how it works. Sometimes, getting to know your crush makes you realize that he/she is not the one you're looking for. And you realize that you just wasted your time.

I'm not an expert on love, nor am I a love guru. I just want to share the things that I have realized through my 21-year encounter with the opposite sex. They are confusing, and sometimes that just means they're not worth the effort. It's not worth bringing in insecurities, destroying yourself, and asking what is wrong with you. So, let it be, it will come at the right time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The reality of wanting to talk to somebody

The reality of joining pageants

The reality of low maintenance relationships